Teaching your dog…….
Training a dog is not about making it perform in a particular way but is about influencing it to make it want to perform for you!
Have a look at your dog’s breed and then ask yourself: –
“What was he or she bred for?”
By answering the question you can probably work out for yourself the reason why it behaves in the way it does!!!!
To train a dog you must firstly have a great interaction with it…..
- Gain it’s attention – it’s eyes looking at you, it’s tail wagging
- Show the dog what to do by luring or guiding
- Add a signal or command such as ‘sit’etc as the dog complies
- Tell the dog how great it is and reward it by interaction, praise, food, game with a toy etc.
- Repeat the action three or four times and have a break
- if feasible and behaviour is unwanted, make it impossible for the dog to do!!
- interrupt to stop
- train an alternative (re-direct) and reward
- exercise extreme self control
A loved, guided satisfied dog is happy, full of life, and manageable! “CONTROL THE GAME – CONTROL THE DOG” John Rogerson